Monday, April 2, 2012

Dear Oscar, I noticed you weren't keeping up your running log. And now that it's updated, where did the older entries go? Just asking -- Mile-Counter

Dear Miley,

It's never a bad thing to quantify your activities. Whether it's a fish you caught (how many inches and pounds?) or a run around the block (time and distance)... the specifics are never bad to have.

Which is why, as you have noticed, I keep a running log. In January, however, I stopped being able to enter more runs. Since then, each time I tried to update the Log, my computer would freeze up. You can imagine how disconcerting this was; dogs aren't even supposed to be playing with computers in this house!

Two months of dates and distances (in addition to whether or not I had a small black four-legged running partner, and, if yes, for how far) were beginning to weigh down my walnut-sized retriever brain, so I did something drastic: that's right, I deleted all of the past Log entries and restarted in February.

So far, it's working pretty nicely. If you have questions about past runs no longer listed, I will take the angler's approach: They were BIG runs. And LOTS of them.

Your friend, Oscar

No comments: