Sunday, August 22, 2010

Oscar, Which do you prefer... running or hiking? Just curious, Foot Traveler

Dear Traveler,

(Click on photos to enlarge)

This is a difficult question. Because I like both pursuits so much! You will notice, both running and hiking, the huge grin on my face. I'm not faking it; these are two activities that I love.

Take hiking. There I am, out in the woods, climbing mountains, scrambling over rocks. Unless we are up near a summit and there is fragile vegetation or the like, I am off the leash, prancing around, greeting other hikers, sniffing the smells, and wagging my tail. I stay mostly on the trail, but I'm free to wander wherever I want. So great!

Then there's running. How can you beat jogging along next to my people, out in the fresh air, along dirt roads, streets, trails, whatever? Sometimes, if it is a trail, I run off-leash, but I have to hand it to those people: they don't give a dog much time to be distracted. If you don't keep at it, they'll leave you behind. It's great fun.

On my running log, I do list the mileages of all my runs. I don't list nearly all the hikes, because we do so many. I try to note the most significant ones though.

But back to your question, the answer is yes. I love hiking and running. Equally. I'm an outdoor dog, and those are two very worthy outdoor pursuits.

Thanks for the question!
Oscar

No comments: