Monday, April 19, 2010

A Good Buddy

Hydrating at the summit of Camel's Hump

Hold everything. I need to say a few words about my good buddy Rufus. This dog had it all. Acres and acres of woods to run through. Pheasants hiding in cornfields. Turkeys in rolling hayfields. A human buddy who loved nothing more than taking him on hikes -- with pockets full of dog cookies. Rufus showed up 14 years ago, a Brittany Spaniel puppy, and he was a great friend to his people from the minute he stepped foot in the door.

Rufus has been a great friend and mentor to me my entire life. I hope that, in my youthful enthusiasm, I wasn't too in-his-face at times. If yes, he was far too considerate to ever mention it. Anyway, he joined me a couple years ago -- as a 12-year-old Brittany -- on a hike to the top of Camel's Hump. There was a whole group of really special friends and family who made the hike that day, a beautiful and crisp September day -- the kind that make you realize that summer is fading and another Vermont winter is on its way, even if a couple months off. I have to tell you, I am really glad that Rufus made the hike that day. We had such a great time! And despite his advancing age even back then, not once did I worry about him scrambling over rocks or tiring out. (If anything, it was his human that I was watching!)

Rufus was always light-footed, light-hearted, and always a great buddy. Once in awhile, there are dogs who -- just by being born -- make the world a better place. Rufus was definitely one of them.

We'll miss you, Rufus. Thanks for being our buddy.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Love this photo! Nicely put, Oscar. Good boy, Rufus.