Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weight Loss

Well, it's official. At my vet appointment last week, the backup vet (Dr. Dan, my usual vet, had the day off) proclaimed that I was "overweight."

My human was aghast. "Overweight?" he said. "Do you realize how far this dog runs?" She didn't, but it didn't matter. She pointed to my sides, where my ribs were not visible. One should, she explained, be able to feel a dog's ribs easily when one rubs a dog's sides. My ribs were in there, but you really had to press to feel them.

I didn't mind all the rubbing, but I did mind what came next. "Are we over-feeding him?" my human asked.

Whoa there, buddy! Let's not get carried away! We are talking about winter fat; it will disappear after about 2 weeks of spring-time activity. It's like I've been saying all along: it's not about feeding the dog less. It's about feeding him more, and then letting him run around more.

"Less" is not the answer. "More" is!

No comments: