Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dear Oscar, Does running cause arthritis? Are there health benefits of running? What's your resting heart rate? -- A Concerned Runner

Whoa there, Runner! You're firing a lot of questions at me one right after another. Don't forget, my brain is only about the size of a walnut.

Okay, let's tackle your questions one at a time. First off, running does not cause arthritis. There are several different kinds of arthritis out there, and I bet you didn't know that the plural of the word "arthritis" is "arthritides." All arthritides deal with inflammation of some kind in the joints, and it is common in humans -- and many dogs. In many cases, increasing your exercise levels can help ease arthritis pain. That's the short version, but onto question number two: are there health benefits to running?

Well, yuhhhh! The health benefits are too many to list in just one measly blog post. But here's a short list. One, running makes it so a dog can have extra dog cookies! That's dog-speak for "running promotes weight loss." Also, running is good for your bones. Bones accommodate the demands you put on them. Watching TV? Not good for your bones. Running, chasing frisbees, and playing with your friends at the dog park? Good for the bones! Also, my research tells me that running lowers your "bad" cholesterol count, and lowers the risk of heart disease, stroke, and breast cancer. I don't know what any of that stuff is, but why should I? I'm just a dog, you know?

Lastly, you ask what my resting heart rate is. I come from a family of runners, and we all have strong hearts that beat slowly and powerfully. A lab of my size should have a resting heart rate between 60 and 150, and mine is 60. But don't let that fool you. After just 30 minutes of chasing squirrels on the hill behind my house, you should see me pant and drool. I can get that old ticker ticking, let me tell you!

The moral of the story? Keep running, everyone! -- Oscar

1 comment:

M Aiken said...

Just so you know, a large portion of a dog's brain is dedicated to the sense of smell. So don't feel bad about having a small brain. It's heart that counts anyway.