Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hello Oscar, First of all CONGRATULATIONS ! Rumor has it you have successfully coached...


... a team of 6 in the Vermont 100 on 100 race. What were your impressions of the race and what has been your secret of coaching a 'dream team'? From an aspiring coach.


Dear Coach,

Thanks for the heart-felt congratulations. However, I can neither confirm nor deny that I was actually present at the event itself. I will say that I have -- at one time or another -- run with every member of the team in question. And they are ALL great runners; their outstanding finish comes as no surprise to me. Given the easy-going and fun-loving nature of each team member, it also comes as no surprise that they had such a great time at the race.

As for my secrets to coaching a quote-unquote dream team, I take my coaching philosophies from two coaches: Herb Brooks, coach of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team, and Jan Leja, coach of Vermont's Team in Training and Burlington's Run With Jan group. Brooks ruled with an iron fist and his players hated him ("at least they didn't quibble amongst themselves," said Brooks). Leja is very reliable and always willing to help, and he gets the job done. If the writer of this question has any further questions about coaching, he should definitely contact Jan.

No comments: