Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Oscar, My family is moving to a new house next week. How do I make friends in my new neighborhood while letting them know I'm the top dog? -- Riley

photo: hanging with friends Willow, Maisy, and their owner

I hate to answer a question by asking another question, but here goes: Why do you have to let them know you're top dog?

Here's what I do, and I recommend it to you, too. If you're top dog, just be comfortable with your superior position to the world, and don't worry about asserting your status. Who needs all the growling and barking anyway? Generally, I just assume that everyone loves me and wants to play. If it turns out that they don't, it's their loss, right? I mean, hey, I can't help it that they're missing out on being jumped on and licked constantly! If they're non-receptive to me, they'll never know how many sloppy wet kisses they missed or how good it feels to have their back leg chewed by me!

As for friend-making technique, here's the program I use:
1) Wag tail and smile.
2) Prance right up in friendly way. Rub noses.
3) Sniff crotch-area.
4) Sneeze. (Usually, they will also sneeze now too.)
5) Jump on them and start playing.
6) Enjoy beginning of life-long friendship!

Note: this approach works with both dogs and people.

Good luck with the move, Riley!

No comments: