Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dear Oscar, School starts again in less than a month! Yikes! What is the best way for me to protect my schoolbooks? Thanks, A Scared Student

Dear Student, Don't be scared. School is nothing to be afraid of. Well, I guess that's easy for me to say; I've never been to school. Those obedience training places where they bring puppies? Never went. Are you surprised?

As for your schoolbooks, how am I supposed to know? Try not drooling on them for starters. That should help protect them. I have seen kids on my street going to school with books that have homemade book covers. They appear to have been made out of paper grocery bags -- an excellent example of re-using resources.

I have only read one book (pictured above), and I didn't read the whole thing. Pawing through the pages, I was appalled to discover it was about an undisciplined yellow dog who chewed all his owner's belongings. Not exactly subject matter I approve of, now is it?

However, I don't believe in censorship or book burning (or other forms of book-destruction) either. But I couldn't just let this slide, could I? Here's what I did: Very carefully, I chewed the lower corner of the book (see photo), even though it was on loan to my human. It was my way of clarifying how I felt about the topic.

I think I made my point. At least, my human never returned it. She said she was too embarrassed that it was all chewed up. This is a lie. I much prefer to believe she didn't think people should be making fun of dogs who don't come when called.

Hope this helps. Enjoy what's left of your vacation.

Oscar

No comments: