Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dear Oscar, I just looked over your running log. Those are alot of miles! Do you get any exercise beyond that listed on the log? A Fan from 'Frisco

Dear Fan,
The Running Log isn't the half of it! Listen. The runs I put down in the Log are the runs I do on my leash with my humans. They know how far they go, and I can get that information by listening to them gripe about it later ("Wow, that was the hardest four miles of my life!" or "Wow, that sure seemed longer than seven miles!"). So I record those runs in my running log. The real exercise in my life comes when I am off my leash, running in the fields around my house or playing in the yard. But I'm a dog; I don't care about mileages, target heart rates, or calories burned. Because I can't really quantify those more intensive workouts (and because they happen like three to eight times a day!), I don't usually write them in the Log.

Don't think I don't enjoy running with my humans; on the contrary, I love it! Take this morning, for example. It was a beautiful morning, and we ran a couple of Richmond dirt roads. At one point, we came out from under the canopy of pine trees into some rolling fields. We could see Camel's Hump off in the distance. I jogged through some puddles in the drainage ditch alongside the road while we ran. Anyone who drove by us could see by the huge grin on my face that I was having a great time.

I don't really care what form my outdoor activity takes: running free in the fields, running on a leash, swimming in the river or lake, hunting, or just heading out on a lazy walk on the leash. It's all great activity, and I'll take it every time it comes my way.

Your friend, Oscar

No comments: