Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dear Oscar, I am a sports nerd who studies stats. Like in baseball, I keep track of a pitcher's ERA against left and right-handed batters...

...among other meaningless numbers. Anyway, in studying your Running Log, I noticed that you don't seem to be running much so far this month. What's up, are you getting soft in your old age? -- A Nerdy, But Devoted Fan

Dear Fan,
First off, I am almost 3 years old. In dog years, I am just about "college-aged." Which, we all know, often can signify a decrease in meaningful productivity (which isn't to say it's not a time of productivity; said productivity during this timeframe is simply not meaningful!)

This is not, however, the case with me. I too have noticed the drop in miles, and I am not pleased about it. My humans continue to follow a course of long runs on Sundays and track workouts later in the week. I am not included in these workouts, and, as you can imagine, I call "Foul."

They have, however, incorporated a new practice to our schedules: the "bike ride to the river." What they will do is bring me down to the garage, grab a mountain bike, and then ride to the river. I, meanwhile, run full-speed next to them on their bikes. It is FUN! And it isn't too time-consuming for them, so I have been making way more trips to visit and swim in the Winooski! It is an interesting new twist in our exercise relationship; they can keep up with me on those two-wheelers. It's sort of like backcountry skiing without the uphill part. Finally, an activity we can truly do together. Seriously, the runs are good, but can you humans please pick it up a couple of notches? Sheesh, it's like running with a bunch of turtles!

In other news, I am pleased to report that I have lost the designation of "Most Destructive" at my residence in Richmond, Vermont! That designation now falls on Waffle the kitten, who has destroyed the weather stripping around the back door, countless toilet paper rolls, a couch -- and who walks on the heads of my humans from 2:30AM until daylight. I'm surprised they put up with it -- the head-walking, I mean. I stopped sleeping on the bed months ago. Once I see that kitten show up at night, I don't mess around -- I'm outta there. It's on the floor for me. I don't have time to be losing any sleep.
Your friend, Oscar

No comments: