Monday, August 3, 2009

Dear Oscar, How does the heat of summer affect a dog while running? And are you still training as much as always? Your friend, Dwight

Dear Dwight, They say that heat affects dogs more acutely than it affects humans. I say this is ludicrous. Heat or no heat, I have never seen a human who can outrun me. I mean, I'm not saying I would try to run through the Sahara or anything; I'm just giving you the facts. What I would say is this: don't forget to drink lots of water and to save some for your dog. Also, I have no qualms about plopping my whole self into a pond, puddle, lake, or stream that I might encounter on a hot summer day mid-run. I love trying to run through a puddle and drinking on the fly. But that's not just in the heat; that's anytime!

As far as my current training, no, I'm not running quite as much as usual, and I'm bitter. Here's the deal: my humans are at that point in their current marathon training when they are running longer distances on Sundays. 14, 16, 18, and 20 milers. And their rule is that I don't go on runs of over 13 miles. This is hogwash! And I let them know it last week by chewing Alison's backpack (again). I also ate her Shot Blocks -- very tasty, thank you. Also, they are incorporating track workouts into their regimen. That means they actually time themselves over set distances. Last week they did 4 800 yarders at the South Burlington High School track. And they didn't bring me. They seem to think I can't focus enough to run hard for those distances.

Well, they're right... but why would I want to!?! When I run, I want to smell a bush every now and again, check out a squirrel, or pause at puddles. I don't know who gave them the silly idea that speed workouts will improve their marathon times, but I would like to have a word with whoever it was.

So, no, I seem to be getting left behind a little bit these days, and, let me tell you, I am not too pleased about it.

Regards, Oscar

No comments: