Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dear Oscar, I heard Hurricane Irene hit Vermont the hardest. Did the storm affect you? -- Weather-Watcher



Dear Watcher,

As you can see from these pictures -- all taken of my street -- yes, the storm affected us. Fortunately, our family and our stuff is safe. In fact, our great friend Craig from South Carolina got stranded here with us for 24 hours and even helped us split and stack half of our winter firewood supply!

Sadly, however, we have neighbors who were hit harder than us. For example, at Maisie the lab's house, the basement was totally flooded. Also, all of the surrounding cornfields were flooded and destroyed -- which affects all of the cows in our neighborhood.

What is left of the cornfields also affects me -- quite profoundly, I might add. Seeing all of the corn plants that had been flattened by the swollen river, I did the logical thing yesterday on our morning walk: I ran off, skipped the walk, and munched on ears of corn all morning. Made sense to me, right? Well, it turns out that river-soaked corn isn't so good for a yellow dog; last night, I threw up everything I ate. And although I was completely willing to clean it up afterwards (as was my little sister Gladys), Mark made us steer clear of the mess, while he cleaned it up himself and (gasp!) threw it all away. What a waste!

So as you can see, Irene affects not just people, but dogs too. Best wishes to those who are still digging themselves out. And remember, river-soaked corn is no good to eat -- especially in large quantities.

Your friend, Oscar

Photos (clockwise, from top left): A flooded cornfield; After the flood, Gladys inspects river-flattened corn; High water mark next to our road; Gladys inspects debris left by the river.


No comments: