Friday, February 13, 2009

Oscar, Do you have any advice for our new President? -- A Concerned Reader



Dear Concerned,

Yes, I certainly do. In this time of war and economic recession, what this nation needs is, of course...

... a White House dog! I mean, seriously, what is the hold-up? I had high hopes that the President and his family were going to move decisively and immediately on this important issue; after all, the President addressed it in his very first press conference after winning the election. His exact words: "Yes, we are getting a dog."

Now, I don't want to belittle the enormity of this decision or the importance of making the right choice and selection. And in the Obama family's case, they do have an allergy to be concerned with -- his 10-year-old is allergic. But come on! The time to act is now! There are hypo-allergenic dogs out there like the Labradoodle and the Portugese Water Dog. As I am sure the President will be reading this entry, I offer my advice here: go with the Doodle. After all, it has lab in it, and we all know that labs are the best.

I must say that I am pleased that the Obamas plan to get a dog from a shelter. Yours truly came from a shelter, and what more evidence do we need that shelter dogs make good pets?

I am confident that once he gets a dog in the White House, things will flow better for the new President. He will have someone that greets him enthusiastically when he comes home from a long day at the Oval Office. And he will have always have a willing companion when he needs to go for a walk or jog. The President should remember to feed his new dog regularly and that treats between meals are much appreciated. Finally, if there is ever a nosy reporter badgering him, the President can sic the Doodle on him -- always a handy option to have at one's disposal if one is President.

Long story short: Mr. President, seriously. The economy can wait. Take care of the important stuff first. Go get yourself a dog.

No comments: